Moxibustion is the act of burning “moxa” on acupressure points or burning moxa over an area (a few inches above the skin).
Moxa is the plant artemisia vulgaris. It grows all over the world and is revered in Chinese Medicine. It even grows almost everywhere.
Moxibustion is beneficial for many reasons. The primary benefits are:
- Enriching the blood and creating more blood for those with anemia or exhaustion
- Lifting your spirits (for those with depression or malaise)
- For certain types of pain that feel better with the application of heat
- For certain sleep issues, especially the inability to sleep deeply
- For alopecia and general loss of hair
- For Postpartum Depression, especially after difficult childbirth or excessive loss of blood
I use moxa frequently in Energetic Acupressure treatments.